Saturday, July 30, 2022

584 The Goodwin Library, Farmington, New Hampshire

 We've arrived at the third library on my July mini-road trip. I say "mini" because for eight years, before I moved to NH, I made annual road trips between Minnesota and New Hampshire, plus other car trips: Glacier National Park, Bartlesville, OK, and around Lake Superior, for example. So a four-library trip is "'mini" to me. 

And now... the Goodwin library in Farmington! [Someone said that every state has a Farmington, and that does sound likely. I know Minnesota does.]


      

When I take pictures of plaques like these I generally figure that I'll be able to read them in the photo and in that way I'll know what they are all about. When I sat down to write this post, however, I ran into a puzzle. Part one on the puzzle is here: this is the Goodwin Library, but this plaque in the entry does not mention a Goodwin. Perhaps this will be clarified as I walk through? Keep reading!


Computers are available for patron use. Sign in with staff, and keep an eye on the wall clock.


Adults are invited to relax with crayons (and markers, on the other side of the box). 


The cabinets with doors hold material of local and historic interest.


Some of the items of interest are from the Goodwin Library Poetry Competition. The binders shelved on the left appear to hold entries from past years, including 2007.


Non-fiction stacks display  recent titles.


Thanks to the green arrow, we know where to find the TEEN area.


These unusual narrow shelves are being used to display books on fishing. This creates a link between adult books and the children's summer reading program theme.


Here's a chance to pick up a free magazine back issue or two; I resisted, this time.


Let's head down to the children's area, past a large ocean poster, "Oceans of possibilities."


Surprise! That yellow "Teen" sign we saw upstairs was pointing to the Young Adult area downstairs.


I'm always glad to see biographies emphasized.


I asked. Nobody could remember a specific reason for this sign, but we all agreed that signs do generally reflect a situation that has occurred at least once. If you read widely in the blog, you'll find many examples. And I hope you will!


Computers are available to younger patrons.


I took a step away from the service desk and startled a bit when I realized what I was standing on. This is a plastic "sandwich" with liquid that moves around when you step on it--like a horizontal Lava Lamp. There are at least a couple more that I spotted. The first place I saw these was in Brookings, SD, at their brand-new library. Minneapolis Central has something similar. Interactive features are always a nice surprise.


Pulling out all the stops for an "Oceans of possibilities" display.


Coloring and activity sheets for kids. I like the bowl of shells; to me, it suggests that one could draw or color anything, not just the samples. But hopefully not the shells!


This fancy octopus, Octavious, is playing a central role in this year's summer reading program. For every five books a kid reads, one more link will be added to the octopus's arms. And when I read the online library newsletter I discovered that the plot thickens: Farmington is competing with another library for the most books read. I'm thinking that another road trip needs to happen soon...I want to see how the other guys are doing!


This bright mural adds fun to a short hallway. It was created as an Eagle Scout project.
 

Do you remember the plaque at the entrance, the one that doesn't answer the question Why the Goodwin Library? Here's where I thought I would get an answer. But no, this classic room with a picture and a plaque honors the memory of Isaac E. Pearl, 1857 to 1895, who founded the Farmington Public Library in 1890 and was its first president. 

 

So I still don't know where the name Goodwin comes in. Perhaps someone reading this post will leave a clarifying note, and I will update it forthwith.


7/27/2022


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.