Friday, July 29, 2022

583 Berwick Public Library, Berwick, Maine

 

After my visit to Rochester, I crossed the state line into Maine, to the town of Berwick. I chose Berwick in honor of a cat I adopted from Marlee Shelter in Wells, Maine, about 25 years ago. Combining the name of the town where she was rescued and the town where the shelter was located, I called her Wellsie Berwick and took her home to Minnesota.

OK, enough cat history! Here we are at a bucolic site, very different from our urban last stop.


There is an area that looks somewhat like a community garden with a sign indicating the start of a hiking path. I didn't see the path, but I didn't look very hard.


This is one of two tables and umbrellas located near the entrance creating a very welcoming vibe.


The entrance with glass-paneled doors continues the welcome.


I checked in at the service desk and got my usual permission to take pictures (with no people). Then I noticed these bright red nature backpacks provided by Maine Audubon. There are three hooks, leading me to guess that one backpack is out. That's good news because I often see such science kits where there is no sign that they are ever used.


Assorted seating marks a corner for periodicals.


What to do with back issues of periodicals? Give them away! I helped myself to a very recent magazine from Harvard. I'll pretend I'm an alumna when I read it.


This shelf houses a modest collection of research tools for history and genealogy.


I'll bet that at least a third of the libraries I've visited have a grandfather (or grandmother) clock. It is clear that when it is time to re-home the large family heirloom, everyone thinks of the library.


Some unusual art with found objects was displayed. The one on the left is based on a sort of antique clipboard and the one on the right is an homage to the famous red shoes.

      

I should have inquired about this. I think it has something to do with a scavenger hunt. I saw a related signs throughout the library.


The collection is not huge (nor is the library) but it is augmented by a very effective interlibrary loan program that gives patrons access to the entire state's collection. Oh-oh, I wrote that and then realized that we are now in Maine. A quick search reassured me that a similar program is available in that state, also.



This fancy chess set looks ready to go.


This picture is a partner to one of the first pictures above. (Note the position of the flag.) The difference? A patron left, leaving the site open for a picture.


Here we are in the children's area. The bins with shelves below for picture books are similar to such furniture found in many places. What sets these apart is that they appear to be locally made. They are well designed and colorful.


I suspect that this has something to do with the presumed scavenger hunt.


Here's a better view of the picture book displays. Notice that each one has a different design on the top. 

 

Well, in this case I am confident that we are looking at a scavenger hunt, but not the same one!


Could you have a children's room without a story-reading chair? Of course not! Another feature to look for, and I wish I had a better picture, is the chair on the "teacher's" side of the red table. Unlike the other chairs, it has wooden spindles with a fancy paint job. Fun!





This speaks for itself. What a great art project for the second graders!

     

Here is a larger view of the mandalas, along with more art.


Art is clearly important here, to display children's work and use intriguing found-object examples. to inspire children, like these 


New books on display.


The swirly blue rug makes this space POP!


I was happy to see biographies getting special attention. And including what look to me like picture books in the YA Biography area strikes me as fully appropriate. Books I've seen lately look like picture books, but their content is totally appropriate for older kids.

      

I don't know a whole lot about TIKTOK but I can see that this display is suggesting books that are popular on the app. Does the display work? Well, I just put one of those titles on request at my home library!


Lego weekly challenges are very popular at libraries this summer.


I imagine that many readers of the blog can identify the yellow and white books on these shelves.


I surprised myself by figuring this out. How about you?

And with that challenge we'll leave Maine and head back to New Hampshire, continuing this four-library Odyssey, Come back soon!

7/27/2002

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.