Thursday, January 27, 2022

560 Sutton Free Library, Sutton, New Hampshire

Great day for a drive to collect two libraries. There's more snow here than we have in Concord. I wasn't sure whether I'd be able to get a picture of the building; where would I stand? So I paused in the middle of a right-hand turn and snapped this picture from inside the car. I'm glad I did; there is a walkway cleared to the front door, but it would have been tricky to get there from the parking area without my trekking poles.
[Note the date over the door: the library and I are the same age.]


A standard book return, proportional to the size of the library.


 The librarian gave me a tour of the building, ending in the lower level. After the tour, I started taking pictures, so the photo tour here is sort of backwards. All of the books you see here are part of an on-going sale, by donation. 



More books and media, plus hangout space for teens.


I always watch for signs I haven't seen before. Signs often suggest a story: What happened to cause this to be posted? I'm sure anyone reading this sign could come up with a good guess.


Puzzles galore! They can be worked at the library or borrowed to take home. 


The glass case displays historical documents. The posters and papers on the case are related to the Story Walk. That walk is not available to me, because I was not wearing boots nor did I have my trekking poles. But we'll get a glimpse of it before we leave.


"New Arrivals" are showcased near the entrance, and I believe those are DVDs to the right. 


The main entrance opens to a small vestibule where periodicals are displayed. As I've seen in other libraries recently, no space is wasted. If you come in this way, the service desk is directly to your right.


I may have missed them in other small libraries, but there is a modest collection of "world languages," including a few titles in Spanish, German, and Russian. I understand that these lead an active interlibrary loan life. It was a nice surprise to see them here.


For some reason this way of shelving picture books, with a forward-facing book on each shelf, strikes me as fresh and attractive, though I'm sure I've seen it used in other libraries.


I believe that is adult non-fiction in the background. The table and chairs and big container of crayons are waiting for colorers. Or perhaps someone will get out a puzzle and take over the space!


Perhaps every library should have a saber-tooth tiger to keep an eye on the place!  And the window curtains are a very nice touch.


Here's an appealing display of Juvenile chapter books, both new arrivals and part of the rest of the collection.


I don't usually include bathroom pictures, but in this case I was told, with evident pride, that this is a fairly new addition and is ADA-compliant. And I couldn't resist the sign. It is eye-catching, very specific, and polite.

      

And on that note I will exit through the back door to the parking lot, the way I came in.


But finally, before I leave, here is the glimpse of the Story Walk that I promised. Can you spot it, just to the right of center? The librarian mentioned a waterfall; I think it's behind the fence at the far right. All libraries deserve to be visited in all seasons, but ... too many libraries too little time!


1/26/2022































No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.