Saturday, January 1, 2022

559 Brown Memorial Library, Bradford, New Hampshire

Today's challenge: share the lapTOP with the lapCAT. 
Let's get the year off to a good start by writing the second entry right now, today. The trip to Bradford was almost the same as the one to Warner, both the route and the weather. 


With signage like this, it's very easy to find the library. And the hours are very clearly shown.


There's plenty of parking across the street to the right, though I think it's shared with other buildings. This being New Year's Eve day, there was no competition for parking. I think that book return may be accessible from a car, though I didn't try. I wish my home library could provide a drive-up book return!


I think there is an accessible door around back, but I didn't look. The steps here were well cleared and the railing is sturdy and just the right height (though cold and wet). There is an elevator available, but when I was leaving I saw several patrons of my age, more or less, using these outdoor stairs.


The sign above the door ties the library to its geographic location. There is another sign to the right that I failed to capture, one that ties the library to its 1932 benefactor, James S. Brown, a painter from Manchester. [There is a very nice short history of the library on its website.]


Concrete-and-wood benches like this are found in parks everywhere. What sets this one off for me is the graceful curve of the top back slat. Just a nice little touch. I wasn't tempted to sit, however. Brrr!


This is the sight that greets you as you enter the library. I was immediately struck by how welcoming it is. The service desk is just a bit to the left, but the first impression is of comfort and warmth...and books. The walls hold photographs by a local artist, in a display that will change quarterly. 
Business can wait.


I first heard of "black out poetry" in the library in Zumbrota in southwest Minnesota. and here it is again. To see what they were doing with it (March 14, 2017), take a look at the entry for 440 Zumbrota.


The library was built in 1932 and had a major addition in 1999. The windows continue the classic look of the front door. If you look closely, you'll see games and puzzles ready for action on the bottom shelf.


Here's a puzzle. This book about gnomes was open on a small table near the entrance. I think I heard someone say "gnome" while I was there, but I didn't see any gnome and I didn't think to ask. Perhaps someone will leave a comment for clarification. 


Fiction lines the walls and non-fiction fills the very handsome wooden stacks. 

      

Not a grandfather clock but special all the same.


Computers are available. There seems to be more reliance on cleaning than on social distancing, though the cases are arranged to provide some separation. Perhaps I've become too accustomed to Plexiglass!


Children have space here on the main floor, not relegated to the lower level. [I didn't go to the lower level; I think the main thing there is a book sale.]

I always like to see a globe, especially in the kids' area. There are also crayons and coloring sheets. It's good to see these materials starting to show up after the strict pandemic policies.



Board books on the left, Beatrix Potter books on the right. And a small doll in her just-right bed.


On top of the Beatrix Potter books I spotted this book card. These are very unusual these days, so I checked some nearby books. Yes, indeed, every book has a pocket and a card! I had to ask about this, and I learned that in fact the library just changed over last year to a computer-based system. I realize now that I am home that I don't have a clear memory of how the card system works, though I certainly used it when I was a page in the Nashua, NH, library, back in the 50s!


I wish I had a way to collect all the pictures of children's chairs I've seen in the last decade!


As in all libraries, most toys are put away. But I like the idea that a keyboard and a phone are available for kids to play with. I used to volunteer in a kindergarten classroom where such (non-functioning) tools were available; they were very popular with the kids. It is odd to think that today's preschoolers will see these objects as antiques.


This is a great rug for a kids' area. It's a nice companion piece to the globe.


I noticed this card catalog when I first came in, but didn't get a picture. After talking to the librarian about the book cards, I had to return to the catalog where I discovered that it is full of cards. I should have asked more. This makes me think of the card catalog at the Philips Exeter library which has an enormous card catalog. When I was there (2013) I believe they maintained the catalog for material added up to a date in the 90s; from that time, the catalog was electronic. Perhaps the same policy will be used here?


A classic view of one corner. I believe that at least some of the books here are local history.


Not your everyday library picture.


A closer look at the history corner and -- of course! -- a grandfather clock!


In the vestibule on the way out I noticed these shelves of puzzles. It appears that these are "serve yourself." 


On the other side of the vestibule a sign above the basket encourages you to take some. I did. Just one.


Back in the parking area I took the opportunity to snap a picture of the addition from 1999.


And that completes my library collecting for 2021. The coming year will mark a decade since I began this project in June 2012.

12/31/2021
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.