Saturday, January 1, 2022

558 Pillsbury Free Library, Warner, New Hampshire

The end of the year is a good motivation for visiting a couple more libraries. I looked at my map, which has small stickers on each town I'm visited, and found a couple of close-by towns. Great, two in one trip! Next step, go on line to check library hours, addresses (for the gps), and any interesting details. What did I find? One library was open on Thursday, closed on Friday. And the other one? Closed Thursday, open Friday. Oh, well, neither one is very far from my home in Concord.
 I headed off for Warner.

It was a gray day but the roads were clear and the drive was pleasant. When I arrived at the library, one of the first things I noticed was a "Story Walk" based on "The First Day of Winter." Story walks are a relatively new phenomenon, but in five or six years they've gone from a pleasant surprise to "Ah, here's another one!" It's a nice blending of reading, physical activity, and environment. I've seen them on nature trails and in store windows; this one, I believe, involves a covered bridge!


I walked back a bit from the parking area in order to capture the entrance to the newer part of the library. The building opened in 1892, for adults only; a space for children was added later. A major remodeling in 1994 tripled the area of the building. Additional work was done in 2017. The site was donated by Nehemiah George Ordway, the building by George A. Pillsbury; both are common names in Minneapolis and St. Paul philanthropy.  I wonder if there was a Minnesota connection? 


Let's head inside.


Make a mental note of this curved construction; you'll see if from inside very soon.


This is not just any door. It clearly signals that something special is inside.


I had recently heard libraries discussed on a national radio program. Someone was suggesting that libraries no longer offer much in the way of services. Well, I've visited 558 libraries over the last decade, and that certainly isn't my experience. An example here is that WiFi is available from the parking lot. I've read about families in these days of Zoom schooling parking outside a fast-food place or a library so kids could complete on-line homework. And once in Canada I got out of a jam because I found a library that was closed, but had made WiFi available. If you hear people dissing libraries, please do a little checking before you believe what you are hearing.


This is a bit complex. In the background, you can see the gray stone exterior of the original building, now repurposed as an interior wall. In the foreground is one of the best stairs I've found in a library. Why the best? Well, grippable railings on both sides, risers that don't rise too much, and treads that provide plenty of support to my big feet!

    

Usually I can't show patron computers because at least one will be in use. I got lucky here. Notice that the wall above the computers displays historic pictures and maps.


Books of historic interest and value are displayed in these fine glass-fronted shelves.


We're now in the curved part of the building, on the upper level. As soon as I came around a corner from the stacks and caught site of the enormous beanbag seating, I knew I'd found the Teen area.

      

I almost walked past this plant with the merest glance; then I realized that it is a single large, thriving plant. Someone here has a thumb or two much greener than mine!


An iconic grandfather clock...


A pleasant place to read or study. I believe those are the periodicals on the far wall.


A handsome fireplace provides the focus for a couple of chairs that say, "Make yourself at home."


Stepping back for a longer view we can greet Mr. Pillsbury and thank him for his contribution.


I always look for signs. Here, I like the handsome carved FICTION sign, and also the small print reminding us that new fiction is on top of the low shelves by the windows.


Here in the stacks a window echoes the shape of the fireplace, a nice touch.


What was  your first clue that we are entering the children's area?


When I saw these shelves with the CHAPTER BOOKS sign, I realized that I rarely if ever have seen chapter books treated so respectfully.


More beanbags, for the kids this time, and plenty of natural light.


This collection is housed in a glass-topped table. I can imagine that kids enjoy poring over these, looking for their favorites. "Wow! Look at the shark mouth!"


The "1000 books before kindergarten" program encourages parents to read to and with their youngsters, setting them on the path to literacy. A similar program in Ontario encourages families to read, over time, a collection of fifty classic children's books that will put them on an even footing with classmates when they start school.


Libraries have done their best to maintain services for patrons of all ages during the pandemic. Some victims of Covid, however, are the manipulative toys that small children enjoy so much. This sturdy play table is ready to go as soon as the cars and dinosaurs can be used safely again.


While waiting for the cars and dinos, the littles tvisitors can rock on this wooden friend.


Periodicals are displayed on sloping shelves.


If I were more dedicated, I'd have walked up and around the corner to get a picture of the original building. But not this time.


My sloth was rewarded by the librarian sending me some pictures of the front of the library. Here's one of them...and thank you very much! Isn't this a handsome building?




12/30/2021

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your lovely blog post about our beloved Pillsbury Free Library. Sorry I was unavailable to chat with you when you came in. I am emailing you a photo of the iconic Main Street facade you did not have time to take a picture of, in case you wish to add it. - Nancy Ladd, Library Director, Pillsbury Free Library

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there is a connection to Minnesota through our benefactors George and Margaret Pillsbury. George was born in Sutton NH , lived in Warner NH then moved to Concord NH where he became Mayor (commemorated by the big clock on the sidewalk of Main St.). They later moved to Minnesota and when elderly, decided to give back to communities where they had lived: A soldier's monument in Sutton, a library in Warner, and the Margaret Pillsbury Hospital in Concord - now gone, but there is still a Pillsbury Street.) Many descendants have attended St. Paul's School, hence the library support there. (George had started a "Farmer's and Mechanics library" when in Warner as a store owner, so the library interest has been a long running theme)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.