Wednesday, April 14, 2021

535 Rye Public Library, Rye, New Hampshire


I've been watching library news during the COVID-19 epidemic. Some libraries opened partially back in January, and I was able to make a few visits. Then the scene went dark until April, and I discovered that the Rye Public Library is again allowing people to come inside.


Although I grew up in Nashua, New Hampshire, I don't think I'd ever been to Rye. It's a very pretty town, with an attractive library.


 It will be even prettier when the grass is green. I liked seeing the bicycle maintenance post and the picnic table. It makes me think of a place where people like to be active and get outdoors.


These doors face the parking lot, so of course I started here. Then I saw the signs and remembered the instructions on the website: Use the doors facing Washington Street.


These doors are being used to manage traffic in and out of the library. As you can see, this is the older part of the building.


After introducing myself and getting permission for pictures, I spotted a very unusual couch. All the libraries I've visited have found ways to keep patrons off the furniture, but this was a first for me. It works, and you don't have to move the couch very far...just tip it forward!


To be sure I wouldn't forget, I started my visit on the lower level, in the youth department. Nobody was here! Well, there are no toys out these days, of course. And it was a very nice warm, sunny day, one of the first. A good day to be outdoors.


One advantage of minimal library services (if there is an advantage) is the chance to reorganize and make changes. And organizing picture books is quite a challenge!


In normal times this sunny area would be busy with parents and pre-schoolers. For now, it's being used as a cleaning area for books that have been returned. From my library page days, I'd say that all children's books could use a cleaning when they are returned. OK, not all. But many. At least some more than others.


This is the entrance to the Teen area, and the pictures are of library patrons and their pets. LOTS of pets! I'd show you the teen area, but the light pouring in the windows made my pictures come out 'way too dark.


So I'll show you the school-age kids' books. If you look closely you can see that one table is full of books, the next one back is actually available for use, and far back some chairs are upside down to minimize what must be cleaned each day.


I had forgotten that their were two parts to the library, the old and the newer. As I left the youth area I noticed that this is the old exterior wall.


OK, I know that you can't really see this, but it is a map of Rye with pictures of businesses and landmarks around town. This seems to me a great project, and of on-going use to show kids where things are. Maybe good for adults, too?


I always appreciate a sturdy railing with a good graspable diameter!


Metal supports above the top shelves identify the general areas of the stacks.


The grounds will be handsome when late Spring arrives. It's always nice to have a view from inside a library, connecting the library to the world.


The wall above the shelves is used to display art. I didn't ask, but I'm going to guess that these works are by local artists.


When I came back around the building to the parking lot, I got a better look at the entrance to the newer part. Oh, it feels good to be able to visit libraries again, even though I have to hunt for the open ones!


4/11/2021


1 comment:

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.