Friday, July 14, 2017

Help me plan the next big trip!

I'm working out the route for a major trip from St. Paul, MN, to Mesa, AZ. The outbound trip roughed out, and will probably include the following libraries. Choices at this point, unless otherwise noted, are based on location, intriguing name of the library or town, interesting website, days and hours open.

  1. Des Moines, IA, Forest Avenue Branch
  2. Kearney, MO
  3. Independence, MO (home of Trixie the cat; Carnegie library)
  4. Bartlesville, OK (basis for movie "Storm Center" with Bette Davis, about a librarian fired for refusing to remove "subversive" literature from the library; true story)
  5. The Village, OK (a town actually named "The Village" intrigues me)
  6. Amarillo, TX
  7. Vega, TX
  8. Tucumcari, NM
  9. Albuquerque, NM, main library
  10. Gallup, NM, Octavia Fellin Library
  11. Gallup, NM, Children's Branch (I'm intrigued by a children's branch separate from the main library)
  12. Holbrook, AZ "The Library on Route 66"
  13. Show Low, AZ
  14. Globe, AZ
  15. Apache Junction, AZ, main library
I'll return without retracing my steps, of course. I'm looking at a route that will take me through Denver. If any reader of the blog knows of any interesting libraries that might fit my path--and my path is not yet determined--please respond here with the library name, the town name, and why I shouldn't miss it.

The trip is tentatively planned for May 2018. Yes, that's a lot of lead time. Hope to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. The Clear Lake Public Library in north central Iowa has wonderful murals on the wall in the children's area downstairs, a circulating art collection, stained glass and paintings upstairs, and a quaint little history room. Highly recommend you plan a visit! I grew up near there and try to visit whenever I go back!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.