Monday, May 22, 2023

608 Levi Heywood Memorial Library, Gardner, Massachusetts

 

I was surprised by the size of Gardner, and even more surprised by the size of the library. A collection of one-way streets sort of funneled me to a library parking lot, and I entered by the door on the left in the picture.


There's nothing frivolous about this entrance to the library. To the contrary, it tells us that serious stuff goes on here. But I'm sure there is ample joy and fun as well.


I hadn't gone far when I saw these steps heading off to the right. A sign says that they lead to the Reference and Children's areas. We'll see those later.


This is a pretty good view of the overall layout, with various tables, chairs, and lamps. The main floor is very open, and a balcony skirts the entire upper level.




Regular readers know that I'm always on the lookout for signs. In this sheltered corner a sign on the tables exhorts us that...


THIS TABLE IS FOR ADULT USE ONLY (over 21)



Here's another sign:


Here's the reason behind that sign. Those are really high shelves. I'm six feet (well, I used to be six feet) and that top shelf would be challenging for me.


I hadn't seen a collection of Westerns in a very long time. Wisconsin, Montana, northern Minnesota and the Dakotas, Westerns everywhere. Prideful displays of the complete (or nearly) works of Zane Gray! I bet there is a story behind this collection; would someone share it with us, please?


This area is for teens and young adults.


I somehow got the idea that what is new here is the YA area itself, but the sign may be referring to new books and media.


Here's a view from the balcony level.



And here are more tall stacks. We're now upstairs and clearly in the non-fiction section. There must be some children around here somewhere.


This is one of the largest reference collections I've seen. What interests me is that space has been provided for reference material in this new (2004) building. It's clearly not an afterthought for miscellaneous books.


Always remember to look up! Here's another oculus! Two in one day!


This table is unusual in that it is a sinle square, not a pair of rectangles put together. You could probably seat a dozen littles at this table.



One of the stricter policies about food and drink. Other libraries vary from free coffee and tea to "beverages with lids," to full-on coffee shops. In Minneapolis I once had my wrist slapped (not really) for nibbling M&Ms very quietly.


In the week since my visit, my brain has forgotten what these materials are. Some kind of reading material in kits? Please, someone help me out here.


Here's a long view of part of the children's area.


Here's a nice comfortable corner where adults and children can snuggle together on the chairs, or a kid can be independent in the rocker.


After a quick visit to the rest room, I headed out to the parking lot. The what? Where is my car?

I took me a couple of minutes to realize that parking has two levels. I had entered the library on one level (fiction, media) and left on the other level. Take a couple of deep breaths and let's get going. There's one more library to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.