Monday, September 5, 2022

591 Lee Public Library, Lee, New Hampshire

 


Welcome to the Lee Public Library, with a pair of those ubiquitous canopies ready for outdoor programs. [This is the year of canopies; two years ago we had the year of Plexiglass.]


It's quite common to see a library and a historical society as close neighbors or even in the same building.


Some serious rock painting has been going on here.


Happy 130th birthday to the Lee Public Library. And here's wishing you many more years of serving the community.


Accessibility is almost always an issue in older, pre-ADA buildings. The solution here is a ramp and a set of steps leading to a side door.


This attractive display by the Friends of the Lee Public Library reminded me that I haven't seen many recruiting displays like this lately. I've seen plenty of evidence of active Friends groups, but not much in the way of recruitment. I wonder why that is.


I went around a corner into the children's area and immediately saw this clever room box. As a former builder of dollhouses, I'm always interested in miniatures. [Does anyone want a dollhouse? I have one that is too large for my apartment, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Free to a good home!]


I don't know why, but that couch gives the children's area an especially homey touch. The children's area usually has a chair or two, perhaps a chair wide enough for an adult and one or two kids, but in my memory, a couch is rare. It looks very welcoming.


There's a chair that matches the couch--so this area has something for everyone.


Youth books are identified and shelved by whether they are hardcover or paperback.


A bright rug that could lend itself to all sorts of games and discussions about animals.


People from larger, urban libraries are sometimes surprised to learn that books are still checked out with a date stamp. One advantage: No need to go to your account on line to find out when your book is due back. 


A long view of the library. Butterflies are being hatched in those two containers in the foreground.


I like this sign for the way it directs you to a new location: "Turn around. They're right behind you!"


A very different view from this direction, with computers and technology at the ready.


Since this is a decade-birthday year for the library, here are some "presents" for the public. The blue and red objects in the center are caps with the library's name. I was tempted, but I recently bought a cap and should be all set until I lose it. And history says that I will.  Below the caps are a number of books by local authors. I'm intrigued by one that tells the history of education in Lee, so I've requested it through ILL at my home library.


Is this the naughty chair for a bad bear? I hope not, but he certainly does look sad and lonely.


Although I've been assured that I can take pictures with people in them, I'm sticking to my personal policy of no people. In this case I felt a twinge of regret, because this isn't a static picture. A librarian was preparing the fabric you see to assemble "grab and go" craft kits for patrons. And while I was watching that and chatting, a patron joined us and shared with me how she finds materials for such kits, at thrift shops and other sources. It certainly looked like a effective partnership!


And off I go to continue my quest to visit "every library I can." Will I reach 600 before the end of the year? And which will I visit next? Only my planning notebook knows, and even that is not sure.


9/2/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.