Sunday, September 4, 2022

590 Barrington Public Library, Barrington, New Hampshire

Barrington Public Library is nestled between an Early Learning Center and the community playground. I didn't take a look at the learning center, but I did look (with envy) at the playground. 


There's no question about where to head for the library, but there are several distractions along the way.


First distraction, the handsome library sign and the canopy for summer programs.


Then this intriguing sign about an upcoming program. I would find this interesting, I'm sure; I'll look for something like this closer to home.


Further along beside the building is a wooden table that could host small meetings. Actually I  walked past this point, to one more gathering spot, then turned and looked back for this picture.

As soon as I was inside and introduced myself and my project, I got the kind of greeting I've had only once before in ten years! I've been visiting quite a few libraries in the same general area,  News of my project had preceded me and I was met with some excitement. "You've come here!" It made my day, for sure!


I started my usual meanderings in this room. I was told that this is the only program room, so it is used both for adult meetings and children's programs. I would like a bright room like this if I had to attend a meeting, but of course switching purposes must require a fair bit of set-up and putting away. It's a great rug, unlike any other I've seen.


This is a beautiful story-telling chair, and I like the "saddle bags" on the arms. What a nice way to have books and props handy without having to reach to the floor. This is one more item for the "never saw that before" list!


Various bins hold books for the littlest patrons.


This is an interesting use of space. These tables and chairs are designated for general use. If you need a quieter space to work, a similar arrangement is available along the other side of the building.
 


This sign goes with a collection that might be called a "library of things." Requiring check-out even for use in the library is a way to keep parts and pieces together where they belong. 

      

Patrons generally want to be helpful; they want to "put things back where you found them." This is generally discouraged, because a mis-shelved book might as well be lost. A sign like this, explaining the reason for a practice, often helps. And in fact it is important to track material usage.


I've seen library scrapbooks before, but it's been a long time. On the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, I think. These two volumes hold newspaper clippings and other ephemera in page protectors. I think it's New Hampton  where I saw albums that held cartoons about libraries. That was a long time ago--I hope they still maintain them. 


A long view down the adult fiction stacks.


There are, I believe, four computer stations. The fourth one is set up with a number of accessibility tools, including a large print computer station. It has a keyboard with bright colors and large characters on the keys.


Remember the first study area we saw? This is its quiet counterpart. Picture, if you will, three "strips" running the length of the library. The two next to the walls hold the quiet and not-so-quiet reading areas. The inner strips hold the stacks.


JUV (Juvenile) books for school-aged kids are shelved by hardbacks and paperbacks.


Here's another view of the computer stations. The one with the accessibility features is the last one in the row.


The top shelf in the kids area holds a collection of parenting books. A nearby sign directs parents to the place in the non-fiction shelves where they can find more related material.

      

I couldn't resist the wooden alligator bookends. 


This aisle in the children's area holds the collection of picture books.


These nesting chairs are sized for the pre-school crowd. I believe they are used for programs with the Early Childhood center next door.


The designs on the ceiling were a surprise, since it'd just seen something similar at a nearby library. I didn't ask about these, but they appear to have been created by kids.


I left the library...then returned with a bit of unfinished business. For one thing, I'd forgotten to get a picture of this great octopus. The summer reading program, "Oceans of Possibility," is over, but there's no need to rush to remove the theme! Another feature, not pictured, was a shower curtain in a doorway that gave an undersea feel.


I also wanted to ask about these "books" behind the service desk. My first guess was historical records, and in another library I might have been right. But here they are folders for DVDs, especially the TV series sets which need more attention.


When I left the library for keeps, I remembered to get a picture of this special window. During Covid days when books were distributed by "curbside service." a library patron created this sheltered kiosk to permit passing materials in and out. Using the back door proved impractical when the winter weather arrived. It's been amazing to see all the ways libraries dealt with providing service during the pandemic.



When I started this project ten years ago, I didn't ever think that I might visit 590 libraries. I never set a specific goal; in fact, I called the blog "Every Library I Can." But now I'm thinking, "an even 600 by the end of the year? That should be easy!!

Stay tuned.


9/2/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.