Sunday, May 29, 2022

580 James J. Tuttle Library, Antrim, New Hampshire

 This library was a bit hard to find. How can that be, since it's right there on the hillside, with a nice big sign on the building? Well, I somehow ended up looking on the wrong side of the street; I'd written the wrong number in the gps. I asked a boy on the sidewalk and an adult at a teen center before I got myself sorted out. And here I am.


This is a great place for a bench!


I've had people tell me that Little Free Libraries are competition for town libraries. Not at all! In fact, I've been seeing more and more instances where a LFL is right on the library grounds, as this one is.


I was advised that this is a "one-room library." Technically, that's correct, but it's a large room and is clearly divided into recognizable spaces. Here are the new books on their tall rack.


I have never used the Cricut system, but I am slightly familiar with it from working with teachers. My recollection is that it's a rather pricy system, so it's great to have it in the library, available to all. And this is the first library where I've seen one!


When I see a coffee station in a library, I know that it must be a place that welcomes people to sit and read or visit for a while.


This "library of things" specializes in equipment for crafts...


... as well as toys, games, and electronics.


Plenty of space to spread out your research project.


One end of a shelf holds some relics of library practices past. Some of us remember the need to be sure the date stamp was current before the library day began.


Here's part of the media collection.


Thanks to the New Hampshire Astronomy Society, just about every library in New Hampshire has a quality telescope and accessories in its lending collection.


I took this picture simply because I like the idea of a bright red rug in the adult section of a library. Sometimes it seems that kids get all the color!


Even when fireplaces are no longer used as intended, they provide an attractive focal point and remembered warmth.


The subtle colors and wood floors give this library a sense of classical calm.


Of course, you can have both classic features and modern media equipment.

b

I especially like the woodwork here. That's the service desk to the left.




3D printers are becoming more common in libraries. A boy was working on the program for something he was designing. And a scene that I failed to capture held a number of dinosaur figures that have been printed. Amazing; I'd like to try this some day.


One neat thing about libraries is the presence of high-tech, like the three-D printer, and all-time classics, like this doll house and the games in the background.


Yes, there are plenty of books and games, but take a look at the top of the picture. What do you think that is?


I guessed correctly, and a librarian very kindly ran the train a few feet forward and back. The last place I saw a train running on tracks high on a wall like this was at Old Broadway Pizza in Minneapolis.


You can see a bit of the children's area at the end of this window seat. I thought I had more pictures, but I guess I got wrapped up in what was going on and forgot to keep clicking. I believe the librarian said that "The books are downstairs." But I just kept going. Perhaps I'll be back.


Remember the gazebo in 
Stoddard? There will soon be one here, too.


It's time to head for home.


5/25/2022


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your lovely pictures of our beautiful library! We are proud of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a charming entry and it encourages me to visit the library.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.