Saturday, May 28, 2022

579 Davis Public Library, Stoddard, New Hampshire

 

So, why this particular library? Well, first and mostly, it's on my route home from Chesterfield. But also partly because I have a grand-nephew named Davis. And now that I think of it, I once in Minnesota made an unplanned stop at the library in Byron, Minnesota, for my nephew Byron, Davis's dad. OK, here I am.


I parked in the paved lot near the road.


The library in Stoddard dates to 1892 when the town voted to invest $100 for books. In 1946, Louise E. Davis, who had been the librarian for 20 years, died and left $5000 for a library. The town accepted, and added $2000.


After 1990, public buildings had to become accessible. I'm going to guess that this led to the addition of the ramp at the side of the building. [I don't always guess accurately; please let me know if I should revise this very condensed history.]

 

Once inside, the overall sense is cozy and welcoming. The teen area is in the corner by the windows; see the "Young Adult" arrow? And you may remember that the sign outside said that the "Teen Meet-Up" is on Mondays at 6 PM.


A couple of computers are standing by for patron use.


These books are labeled YGN, indicating graphic novels for youth. I don't recall seeing this designation before, but it makes sense.


A pair of chairs stand ready for readers. I don't usually interact with patrons, but in this case a gentleman had heard me talking to the librarian about being sure I had no people in my pictures. In a first, he got up from a chair and stepped to the side, allowing me to get the picture. Thank you, sir; chivalry is alive and well in Stoddard!


I asked something about the age of the library and the librarian very kindly pulled up the information that I mentioned earlier. As she did that, I happened to turn to the fireplace, where I saw a plaque with the date. 


Sorry about the glare. The plaque honors both Louise and Edward Davis. Now I'm left wondering about why he date I had earlier (1946) differs from the date on the plaque.


So much for history mysteries, and on to the cheerful children's area.

      

I didn't see any vehicles; it would be smart if they are stored away until we get Covid behind us. When they are again available, this clever rug will be ready for traffic.


I didn't realize when I took this picture that the scale would look so odd. And now I can't even trust my eyes and memory: little-kid sized,,,or dollhouse sized? I don't recall seeing a dollhouse, so I'm going to place my bet on kid-sized.


This handsome gazebo is not only an attractive feature. It's also a source of wi-fi connections, and I was told that it is often used that way.


Before I leave, two more pictures. This is an example of a library that sort of sneaks up on you. I arrived on this long, empty road to the left...


...and I departed on the same empty road as it heads out of sight to the right. Be assured, we're not really in the middle of no place; there are buildings up ahead, not too far down the road. But this library did sneak up on me!


Oh, I mustn't forget! In addition to the Teen Meet Up, book clubs and discussion groups for men and women are in the works. If I gave marks, which I don't, this library would get high marks for energy!


5/25/2022


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.