Thursday, April 21, 2022

574 Byron G. Merrill Library, Rumney, New Hampshire

 My trip started at a very small library in the heart of a small town. My next stop was at this brick and stone classic in a somewhat larger town, about 2.5 times the population. 


Based on an engraved stone set into the brick front walk, I believe the library dates to 1904. 


As is true of many libraries from the early 1900s, this library prompts the question "Is this a Carnegie library?" No, it's not. 


As you can tell from the library's name, this building is in honor of a local resident, Byron G. Merrill. I didn't get the details into my notes; perhaps someone will leave a message and fill me in?


These granite benches that face each other across the walkway 
are in memory of Merill B. and Donald G. Keneson.

       

Finally, here we are inside. I was welcomed by the library Director who made herself available to point out features I might have missed and to answer the questions I thought of. [Not the ones I hadn't thought of, of course, and they are always many!]

This is a portion of the children's area. Note the large bin of Lego on the right. And those wonderful windows!



At first glance this looks like a card catalog, but the drawers are of several sizes, none of them the right size for book cards. And instead of rods to hold cards in place, each drawer has a label holder and pull tab. I discussed these with the Director and learned that when she arrived here the drawers were used for miscellaneous storage. There is a matching cabinet on the opposite side of the library, with drawers of other sizes. Some of the drawers on the other side are just the right size to keep DVDs out of the way...and out of sight.


Picture books are accessible in bins labeled by the author's name.


Eeyore is sitting in front of an ersatz birch tree. He'll stay nice and warm by that radiator!


Here's a closer look at the Legos, but never mind those; look at that rug! Children's areas in libraries usually have educational rugs: alphabet, animals, perhaps even a world map. Here, the kids have, well, let's call them "serious" rugs. The rugs fit the classic features of the building.


The teen area is identified by the beanbag chairs, and I think I see the Harry Potter series on the far wall.


Here's one for the "I never saw one of those before" category: a handsome hanging light fixture that surely dates to the time when the library was built.


Shelving like this, with wide sliding shelves, used to be for large reference books, like atlases. These have found a new purpose, holding comics and graphics.


I was told that most of the furnishings are original. (Not those beanbags in the teen area, however!)


The library is divided into matching halves when you enter. This curved seating area has a mirror image on the other side, to the left.


I wonder if anyone has used this feature to stage Romeo and Juliet?


The library uses book cards for check-outs. I've found several New Hampshire libraries continuing this practice, and why not? If it works, use it!


This handsome trunk is an intriguing addition to the "front room.".


Here's the other set of drawers, with the DVDs.


The table and chairs are original, I believe.


I know I missed a lot, but I was running out of steam. And I may have been a bit intimidated by the service desk, which is a classic like the one I grew up with, where staff stayed on one side, patrons on the other. And I never got a picture of it because of my "no people in pictures" rule.

I know that there is a lift, installed some time ago for ADA compliance. 

When I went back to my car I saw at this angle what I think is an accessible entrance and the lower end of the lift. And as I drove away I realized that I had missed most of the adult areas! Well, there are other libraries to visit in this neck of the woods; I may have to return some day.


4/20/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.