Saturday, April 9, 2022

572 Howe Library, Hanover, New Hampshire


Now for a change of pace. The Howe Library is a large town or small city library. Hanover is the home of Dartmouth College, but if Dartmouth is "gown," the Howe Library is "town." [I don't know whether that distinction really applies, but it certainly did in Berea, Ohio, where I went to college.]


The library could not be much different in design from our last two small-town visits! I do like those benches. In my opinion, the world needs more benches. This approach is from a small parking area down to the main entrance on the lower level.


In contrast to the exterior, the first space I encountered has a classic look. It's nice to see the window shades. Natural light is wonderful, but it often needs to be controlled. Those blue bags on the far wall are book club kits, ready to go.


Here's another seating area with natural light and outside views.


The Café coffee shop is well-stocked...


...and provides a variety of seating.


According to my notes, the red stickers on the spines of these books indicate Graphic Novels. My impression is that there is an especially large collection of these.


Most of one wall is available as a community bulletin board. There are abundant possibilities posted.


A sign at the "name your price" book sale assures you that they really mean it's up to you how much you pay.


A multi-use space provides seating and computers.


Here's something I've never seen before in over 570 libraries. In the background you can see hanging folders holding newspapers. My left hand is showing you what these folders are like. Sturdy plastic hooks hold even a heavy Sunday edition. On beyond Pendaflex!


Here's a close up look. This picture acknowledges that newspapers do not remain pristine during use.


More seating, more light, and now a large plant. If I were sitting, this is where I'd head.


After the café and the casual seating areas it's good to see space for quiet study.


It's been a while since I've visited a library that had three levels and required maps!


It appears that the quiet reading area is closed. And don't worry about the elevator being out of order; there's another elevator available.

      

Here's another clever use for an unneeded card catalog: remove the front of each drawer and use the resulting pieces as small plaques to acknowledge library benefactors. 


I often used to see art available for borrowers, but not so much any more. Until here.


We're nearing the children's area. I'm a fan of building sets but I'd never seen this one. I looked for it on line but nothing matched. My guess is that the box is from Archiquest but the building materials are something else. In any case, they look like fun.


A larger-than-life wise old owl welcomes us to the children's area.


The stairs were tempting, but I resisted. The black hooks at the bottom of the stairs seem to be for holding thematic backpacks. The one on the right is Hiking; the one on the left may be Pet Vet. The other two are Magnets and Sewing, a good variety. It's nice to see these available; it's even better to see that they are apparently in use.


My notes and my memory fail me; these are a couple of shots near the entrance to the kids area.

     

This reminds me of a very quick visit I made to the main library in 
Boston. The children's area there was overwhelmed with enormous fancy strollers jockeying for space. They could have used this sign!


A fourth grade class created these mosaic versions of Ming pottery. I was glad to see the variety. I used to volunteer at a school where the art teacher put a lot of stress on making pictures just like hers.


Games and puzzles ready to be checked out.


The second library in a row where I saw children's magazines.


It appears that these bags hold ten books to check out at once when you're working on reading "1000 Books Before Kindergarten." This makes me wonder, do kids here get credit for reading (or having read to them) any books at all, or just books from the blue bags? And do they get credit for the same book more than once?


 This is cute, adult and child-sized rockers.


I don't know the story behind Lauren's Place, but I'm glad I spotted it.


A large program area is ready for messy crafts. Judging from the number of seats, programs here must be very popular.


A play area seems to have access to the outdoors.


This bin caught my eye as I was leaving. I've seen bins like this before, but always with gray canvas! The features I noticed were the springs mounted on each corner. This allows books to be added without dropping very far. The platform lowers as the weight of books is added. And of course, it rises as they are removed, so the library staff don't have to reach all the way to the bottom. Except, of course, to check that nothing slipped under the movable platform!


After I left the library I walked down a side street to see if there was another entrance. All I found was a parking lot (for staff, perhaps).


And that ends another three-library day. Where will I head next? I have some ideas, but you'll have to wait and see.

4/5/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.