Monday, November 16, 2020

534 Hill Public Library, Hill, New Hampshire

OK, we're not quite at the library yet. I didn't trust my GPS, so I stopped at a general store and found this outside. The library is very close; I'd call it a stone's throw away, but I throw like a girl who went through school before Title IX. In other words, I can't throw worth a darn.


This isn't the library, either. but it was at one time.


THIS is the library. At one time it was the elementary school, but in 2004 the buildings were switched. The library goes back 125 years; take a look at its history here: https://hillpubliclibrary.com/about/

The town of Hill has an interesting story. Visit here: http://www.hillhistoricalsociety.com/ to learn about the relocation of the town to provide flood control in the 1940s.

I really like the detailing at the front door. 


The sign and another Little Free Library. Let's go in.


In honor of the election (I assume), the library is hosting a collection of old campaign buttons.


I peeked into a couple of the catalog drawers and saw that they are still packed with cards. I forgot to ask, but assume these are no longer kept up to date, replaced with a computer catalog. 


You'd be surprised how many libraries I visit that have popcorn machines for movie night! They frequently look like this: 
Hill surprises with an older popcorn maker that reminds me of the one from my childhood in Nashua.



Oversized books have their own display in a sturdy wooden unit. Just to the right (I thought I had a picture) are Youth Biographies, Youth Reference, and Early Reader Reference. With the school right next door, it's nice to have a good collection of non-fiction for kids.


Here's another corner of the children's area.


I spotted a bin of ice skates under a table. Why not? Vermont libraries often have snowshoes. And Hill has a nice skating pond just across the street. I saw on the library web site that summertime story programs are held by the pond; now there will be a new seasonal activity!


Every modern library has a collection of technology. If you look closely you can see the plexiglass barrier separating the two monitors.


I'm a fan of maps, so I was pleased to see this rug in the children's area.


Take another close look and you'll see that the shelves are all on casters, allowing maximum flexibility for library programs. Excellent idea!



The final picture I took gives another view of the "tech center." I see that I have missed the coffee station, the books for adults, media...  I don't know what caused me to miss so much. Anyway, if you're in the Hill area, stop in and say Hi to the librarian. She's been there for 18 years and counting!


 11/13/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.