Monday, November 9, 2020

533 Public Library, Merrimack, New Hampshire

In general I like to visit libraries on nice sunny days, the better to enjoy the ride. But one drizzly day about a week ago, I just wanted to get out of the apartment. So, with my GPS set to avoid highways, I meandered to Merrimack. Although I grew up not too far from here, I'd never been to this library. I knew it only as a building up on a bit of a hill next to route 3. And I hadn't realized that the original building has a nice modern addition.

When introducing myself to staff and getting permission to take pictures, I learned that, like many libraries these days, the building would be closing at noon for cleaning; I had about 20 minutes! 

I headed off on a clockwise tour of the main floor. The first thing I noticed was a "library of things," something I haven't seen often lately. It wasn't called this, as I recall, but there was quite a variety of techie devices available for loan, including a couple of Nintendo gaming systems!


The "things" available include cake pans. This took me down memory lane, as the first place I saw a library lending cake pans was Nashua, Iowa. I've seen them in many places since then, but not recently for some reason.



Near the cake pans is a set of pages showing games that are available for loan. Most places where I've seen games in libraries they are either available for use on-site or simply on shelves for check-out. Merrimack's system would be much more reliable, I think, than keeping them on open shelves. When I last worked in a library, one of the minor pains was checking-in items like "Fun with Phonics" to make sure that all the bits and pieces had been returned. I wonder if staff here have to do that with all the game pieces?


The non-fiction stacks have enough cookbooks to keep the whole town eating well!


Periodicals are available, but in keeping with the Covid-19 rules, hanging out and browsing are not encouraged; note the lack of the usual comfy seating.


BYOL: Bring your own laptop.


The location of new books and media is eye-catching!


Speaking of media, there is plenty.


Plenty of DVDs to while away hours of quarantine.


At this point I came to a room in the old part of the building, "Staff Only Quarantine Area." Every library I'm aware of has set up an area to quarantine books that have been returned.


A view through the window to the quarantine room caused me a double-take. Very clear after a good look, but for me, it took a couple of seconds to recognize the gloves.


One area is set aside for teens. Many libraries have provided grab bags for the pre-school and elementary set; this is one of the few places where I've seen this kind of programming for teens. Sorry that the poster is not legible; it says that each bag contains two books, a snack, and a craft. Return the books, the craft materials and snack are for the young person to keep. Really neat programming.


Remember that I had only 20 minutes? Now I'm down to about 10, and I've headed downstairs to the children's area. Here I found a couple of staff and we got talking about programming, kids' reactions to not having the usual toys available, things like that. Meaning that I started taking pictures here just as the "we're closing" announcements started.


I clearly didn't do the space justice.


Seeing the announcement of the Great Stone Face Book Award winner reminded me that I want to read it. So I just went to the website of my home library and requested it. Aren't computers wonderful?


There is a nice collection of picture books and J fiction and non-fiction.


There is a mystery here. Earlier today I wrote my entry for Newton, NH, and the entire post was underlined...and I have no idea why. Likewise, I have no idea why this post got off on the right foot and maintained normal formatting throughout. Honestly, I thought I approached this one in exactly the same way. One of those computer mysteries (to me). If anyone has a theory, feel free to leave me a comment!

Back in the car, the pause for a red light allowed me to grab this quick shot of the older part of the building. I can't complain about the rain since NH is in a state of drought this year.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.