Monday, March 3, 2014

Should libraries be quiet?

Libraries seem to be getting louder and louder. Cells phones are used even where signs say "No cellphones." Children's areas are designed for more active play. Teen areas encourage visiting. The library where I work has two very small study rooms, suited for only one or two persons at a time; weekends often see groups of four to six teens clustered around tables working on homework together. People cluster around computers, chatting about what is on the screen. Except for the cell phones, this is all well and good. An earlier post about a Hennepin County library prompted a comment from a person who was trying to tutor at that branch, and was having trouble because of the ambient noise level.

I was trying to come to terms with all of this when I read the attached article. What do you think?

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/31/bring_back_shushing_librarians/

1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking about this even more nowadays, with the news that we should all just shut up to avoid spreading COVID. However, one of the surprises I had when I started volunteering was how few materials are checked out, compared with the number of patron visits. For example, last week. I welcomed seven patrons, with ONE item checked out. So, what actually is the purpose of the library? Home is the place where when you have to go there, they have to take you in. --RF

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.