Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Seikei University Library, Japan

I could also have titled this post "Should Libraries be Quiet...Part 2." And no, I haven't visited this library, though I'd like to.

Today I chanced upon a library with a unique approach to silent study areas. I was reading in the NYT about an architect, Shigeru Ban, this year's winner of the prestigious Pritzker Prize. He has a unique approach to materials and an apparent social conscience...see the article here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/25/arts/design/shigeru-ban-an-architect-of-social-change.html?emc=edit_th_20140325&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=51859625

There was also mention of some of his more "traditional" projects, including this university library. Those mushroom-shaped study areas are anything but traditional, IMO.

http://mark.space.4goo.net/photos/10007899?q=Seikei+University

I couldn't find a way to post separate pictures; the best views of the "pods" are toward the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.