Thursday, October 19, 2023

611 Effingham Public Library



Well, it's been a long time since I've entered a new post. One reason was that my camera was left behind on a trip to Minnesota, so I had to get a new one. Found one on eBay that seemed to be identical, which it is, like my 2016 Prius is identical to my 2014. In other words, not quite. Two issues: 1) the new camera puts cute borders on pictures. I now know how to removed them, but I was too wrapped up in figuring out how to add the photos, I didn't want to go back to the beginning and re-enter new versions of the pictures. You only have to put up with them for three entries. The second issue, the new camera needs a special cord to link it with my laptop. No such cord came with it (Remember, eBay.) but Mary figured it out and found a cord on line, So I'm back in the blogging business,
 
I have moose plates on my car, but this is the first time I've seen a "Thank You" response. The fees for Moose Plates go to conserving natural, historical and cultural resources.

 

One thing most small libraries seem to have in common is the talent to use every bit of available space.


Many libraries have jigsaw puzzles to swap, to borrow, or to solve in the library. This is the first library where I've seen this adjustable, tilting, board. It's easy to work on; friction beats gravity to keep the pieces in place; and the whole thing can be folded up and put aside when necessary without losing any work.

Many years ago, Effingham had the first Normal School, a training school for teachers. Before the present building became the library it served as the Town Hall, with a stage for programs. Can you spot some remnants of that earlier life?



I was offered the chance to visit the upper level via the handsome curved stairway. My knees and a look at the narrow treads prompted me to say no. Sometime in the future I will be able to go upstairs on the other side of the building via ADA-compliant stairs or even a lift.





A large, bright corner of the building houses the children's library. I really like the "campfire" rug in the story corner.


As I started to drive away I realized that I hadn't shown the whole building. Here it is.


And I mustn't forget this sign, advertising a street dance coming up on the next weekend. But if you have a certain way of thinking, you may notice that there will NOT be an Effing Ham and Bean Dinner.


 
10/11/23


2 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I missed seeing your posts :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, whoever you are! You are the only person who seemed to notice I was away

      Delete

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.