Saturday, February 4, 2023

601 W A Bachelder Library, Andover, New Hampshire

 Finally, another visit. Again my GPS was playing games with me, making me think we were seeking Brigadoon, but once I mastered the zigs and zags, there it was, a compact library with classic touches. Something to know about Andover is that there are FOUR libraries: this endowed library, the town library, the elementary school library and the prep school library. When we're through here we'll visit the town library. The other two don't fit my definition of "public" libraries.



When I arrived, the librarian was going the extra mile with "Blind Data with a Book," not only wrapping books but putting each in a decorative bag and lining the bags up on the fireplace mantel. I totally intended to take a picture of that bedecked mantel and the fireplace, but the librarian and I got talking and, well, I sort of forgot. I do that.

The collection has some of everything plus access to the whole New Hampshire library collection. One can also get audio books and e-books which add greatly to the virtual collection through an active, statewide Interlibrary Loan program


Aside from the disclaimer above, notice that there is a sizable collection here, filling several stacks. For some people "browsing the stacks" is a central part of a library  experience.
And there is the ubiquitous telescope!


The children's area seems aimed mostly at the preschool crowd, which makes sense as the elementary school library has an excellent reputation.


Pete, Piggy, and the elephant encourage reading. Does the elephant have a name? I just realized that I don't know!


We talked briefly about the growing puzzle collection. Since Covid, more and more libraries are offering items from the "library of things," either for lending or swapping. The day I visited was full of warnings of hazardous cold weather coming up; perhaps that's why a patron had just been in to leave two puzzles and pick up two new ones!


 And so I start a new year and new "century" of blog posts. I hope you'll stick around.



2/2/23



1 comment:

  1. Nice write up for what looks to be a very pleasant library.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.