Monday, October 3, 2022

593 Jackson Public Library, Jackson, New Hampshire

 A month or so ago I visited the Gilmanton Year Round Library, which was once a barn. I thought that was pretty unique, but I learned that there is another in New Hampshire, far up in the north, in Jackson. It's a long drive so I invited my sister to join me; she drove, I bought lunch, and a friend joined us for a beautiful Autumn field trip, though the foliage colors are lagging this year.


I talked with the library Director and learned some of the history of the building. It begins with an ordinary barn built close to 200 years ago. A picture near the end of this post tells about the dismantling of the building, done carefully so that it could be reconstructed,


Let's head into this historic building and see how it is meeting modern needs.


I chatted a bit with the Director and got a general orientation. Then it was time to wander around. As always I'm on a search for "things I haven't seen before," and even after close to 600 libraries, I keep finding them. Here, I didn't get very far before I saw this rack of magazines. I remember the days of newspapers gripped in long rods and hanging on racks., but not magazines. They just hang over the rods, they are not fastened to them.


The circulation desk is straight ahead and the  library office is to the left as you enter. The large window wall suggests openness and an ambience that I can only describe as "classic."


I believe that apparatus in the foreground is a laminator, followed by two styles of paper cutters. I can think of a number of projects I would tackle if I were a patron here.


A look at part of the non-fiction stacks.


Inside the red barn I found a puzzle in the works...with a picture of a red barn. And inside that barn...just kidding, I of course have no idea.


Outside is shaded patio, a wonderful place to hang out in the right weather.


Much of the year this would be a more welcoming spot.


I can imagine a few little kids playing in this corner, under a gigantic Ficus tree.


Another view of the stacks. I chose this angle to emphasize that these shelves are very tall.


OK, I'm sure you think this  is rather odd. I want you to see that the tables are on casters. I've visited many libraries where chairs and bookcases have wheels in order to facilitate rearranging space to make room for special programs, but here it's the tables that are most readily moved.


There are computers for patrons to use, of course. On these, the screen savers are used to draw attention to new book titles.


That is a long model of a very long covered bridge.


Coffee? Reminders? This corner near the entrance and the restrooms brings together a variety of oft-needed functions.


There is an elevator, but with nice wide treads and a sturdy railing, I found these stairs were very manageable. And the idea of milk jugs as newel posts just makes me smile. My Dad was a dairyman in Nashua in my childhood, and an early memory is of the sound made when the cans came off the truck and onto the metal rollers and a length of lead pipe was used to loosen the tops.


On the upper level (balcony? mezzanine?) we find a variety of nooks and crannies. I was told that many people like to come up to this level to read or work on a project away from the bustle downstairs. 


These shelves house assorted historical materials.


The puzzle collection fills one chunk of wall. They can be checked out to work on at home, and I believe that some of them have all their pieces! There are a few games to borrow, also.


This would be a fine place to spread out and work on a term paper, perhaps. Unless all the research is being done on-line by cut-and-paste. A practice I do not support.


The floor-level windows bring light into this upstairs corner in an interesting way.


I like these rosy walls. They seem to bring the space to life and I can imagine bringing my laptop here on a winter night and perhaps writing one of these posts.


I've enlarged this so you can read most of the story here. You can at least get the gist of the history of the barn. The Tricky Barn is a great name!


Isn't this a great story of "recycling?"


This is a close-up[ of some of the wood near the elevator.


Leaving the library and heading for lunch, we drove through the covered bridge!



9/30/2022








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.