Tuesday, August 9, 2022

587 Madbury Public Library, Madbury, New Hampshire

So...you remember that I was headed off to visit the second library of four on my planned route. I was driving along, obeying the gps, when I saw one of those standard blue-and-white library signs. 
Perhaps I should stop? I kept driving for a mile or so, then saw a great place to turn around. So I did, and I went back to the blue sign and turned right. I turned right too soon and found myself on what was clearly NOT a road to a library. Extricated myself from that error, went back to the road, drove another hundred feet or so, turned onto the correct road. Drove up a hill to the town offices but didn't see a library. Headed back down the hill and there it was, in plain view. I'm not sure how I do this, but, well, here I am.


It's amazing how many of these canopies are in use at libraries this year. I think they became popular during the pandemic, when programs needed to be conducted outdoors.


The summer reading theme at most libraries is "Oceans of Possibilities," and it's fun to see how many ways this has been interpreted.


The grounds of this library are wonderful, with open wooded areas and several paths, including a story walk.

      

Usually by this time I would have posted a picture or two of the library sign, and thus its name. Somehow I managed to forget this, so here you are: Madbury Public Library. 


Something unusual about this library is its age. Most libraries, here and elsewhere, have a founding story that goes back close to the founding of the town. Madbury's library was born at a town meeting in 2001! Like many of its older cousins, it started life in a closet, then a house owned by the town. By the end of 2019,the library had its "forever home" in a handsome modern building. 


The library has a wonderful "make yourself at home" vibe.


Flowers add to the "at home" feeling.


The summer program includes reading challenges for kids and adults. Shown here are the prizes available for completing activities. In a town with a population of just under 2000, there are 48 kids and 24 adults signed up for the prizes. I don't have any figures for comparison, but this sounds like a pretty good level of participation.


How often in the blog have I mentioned trees as a theme, especially in children's areas? Trust me, it's a lot! 


One corner of the children's area is ready for imaginative play based on camping.


I try not to have favorites, but it's hard to resist this stack of cushions that look like slabs with tree rings. Spread them out to seat four kids, or stack them for a taller stool.


Here's a closer look at the tree. Can you identify the birds that hang out here?


Here's another bright bit of art with a bird theme.


We're back to my starting point where  a hand-made quilt presides over the computers.

 

In the children's area I spotted a neat book, "Madbury--pictures in time: an alphabet book for all ages." This is a hard-bound  book with a page for each letter of the alphabet, and pictures, of course. U, X, Y, and Z are especially creative. By using business signs, street signs, and  significant buildings, the town is thoroughly represented. I just had to buy one!


 So I ended my second visit for the day, my serendipitous stop. As I headed for my next stop, the gps and I got into one of our tangles. The gps does not say "recalculating," as my old one did. I thought this was a good change until I realized that if I made a small error without realizing it, that error would cause the gps to change my route [without telling me] and send me on a trip that could be miles out of my way. And that's exactly what happened on this trip. I got so turned around...and the day was so hot...I just gave up and told the gps "Take me home." I still have one important re-visit to work into my plans. And I have more than 100 libraries to visit in NH, plus many in other nearby states.

8/4/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.