Saturday, February 26, 2022

566 Mary E. Bartlett Memorial Library, Brentwood, New Hampshire


Welcome back! This is the middle of a three-library trip, and they are all in a cluster. I often found small clusters of libraries in Minnesota, but they were likely to be 10 to 15 miles apart. On this trip, the distance between libraries was more like three to five miles. So here we are in Brentwood, just a few miles from Kingston. Let's take a look.


Here's a view coming up the driveway. Snow was melting, but that was four days ago. To imagine how this looks today, wrap it in about a foot of bright white, snow!


I'm not positive, and I forgot to ask, but I think this is a grown up version of a little free library. When I walked to the car after my visit, a young woman had the doors open and seemed to be selecting a book. I took a closer look and saw that the doors are held shut by sliding bolts, and the titles available seemed to have a nice variety. So even if the library is closed, you would have a good chance of finding reading material.


A choice of steps or a ramp provides good accessibility.


The entrance is interesting, with the small panes of glass above the broad doors and the lantern-shaped light fixture on the wall above the book drop.


With the formalities taken care of, the first thing I saw was the display of new YA books.


I don't recall in the past seeing a "teaser" like this, also in the YA area. I hope it works for teens; I know it certainly caught my attention and had me wondering what new items. Something other than books, perhaps?


It's not unique but it is a bit unusual to find open space like this in smaller libraries. For some reason it gives me a sense of possibilities. The yellow sign on the floor is a reminder about social distancing.


This is a classic "living room" space for readers. Comfy chairs and those big windows are so inviting.


Speaking of windows, did you spot it in the last picture? It's late February and the temperature is in the 50s, maybe even the 60s...and windows are open! Spring is coming. [Four days later a foot of snow, but Spring really is coming!]


I can't recall where I first saw chairs like this; in a school, I think. It's a bit hard to tell from the photo, but these are rocking chairs. Slightly rocking chairs. They tip back a little bit, so you can change your position slightly. Kids love them. Adults do, too, once they get over the initial surprise.


Another reading and lounging area with comfy chairs and plenty of light. Why no people, here or in the other "living room?" Two reasons, I think. First, after libraries were closed, or partially closed, for a couple of years, habits must be re-formed. And second, did I mention that it was a warm sunny day in February in New Hampshire? A great chance to be outdoors! Perhaps some people were out tending to the sugar bush; I saw several places in my travels this day where maples had been tapped. With buckets, not plastic collecting lines!


It's the little details that really pull a room together. Here's a detail from the picture above.


Libraries often keep town records accessible. Here they are found in a cluster of 3-ring binders.

        

A reminder that Valentine's Day was not long ago.


Could this 3-D printer be one of the "amazing new items" hinted at in the YA teaser sign?


Picture books galore in the bins and shelves below. Those are really handsome blue bins.


Libraries often encourage positive behavior and attitudes, especially in the children's area. Programs and storytimes reinforce the message.


Here's a long view of the children's area. The light yellow walls really set off the primary colors of the furnishings.


Nothing boring here, not even the restroom door!


I'm sure help is at hand if you need something from a top shelf. If I'm around, I can probably get it for you. 


I rarely get a picture of a service desk because of my "no people" rule. Here, everyone had stepped away at the same time, so I grabbed my chance.


Something new at the Memorial Library -- a wheelchair for patrons to use while they are in the library. 


Two visits down, one more to go on this southeast New Hampshire trip. But first I'll take a walk.

2/2/2022
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.