Thursday, December 16, 2021

556 Daland Memorial Library, Mont Vernon, New Hampshire

Recall that my last visit ended with my camera out of commission, so I couldn't make the other visits planned for that trip--including this one. Well, here I am with another day of nice weather, a fully-functioning camera; it's time to catch up.

This is New Hampshire: sign posts are granite.



Libraries provide many varied services these days. In contrast to this sign, there seemed to be no requirement to wear a mask. I was the only person present who was masked.


The building is not handicapped-accessible, but that will change. The railings on either side of the steps gave me the help I needed.
 

Oops, before going in let's step back to the street corner and get the long view of this rather unusual Arts and Crafts building.


Then grab this view by the entrance. The library is thoroughly decorated for the season. The library where I worked for eight years eschewed holiday decorations lest someone be offended. Personally, I spilt the difference this year with two electric candles in my front windows. I guess it comes down to knowing your patrons and not going overboard either way.


The holiday centerpiece of the children's area is this handsome dollhouse, a recent gift to the library. It's on a rotating platform. (Sshhh, the kids don't know that.) The house is not electrified, but small dome lights in the ceilings of the various rooms make a good substitute. The picture book bins on either side are on casters. They had been pushed back to make room for a program and the librarian was in the process of moving them to their regular positions.


I was told that the children's librarian, who was not present, is the person behind many of the decorative touches, like the cut-out houses that line the window sills.


Interesting details abound. Here we see a creature (otter? mink?) with a holiday hat and scarf, a wall-mounted lamp (one of several), and one of the two guitars on display.


I haven't done the trees justice. Here is one of the pair. I learned that the trees were originally cardboard and intended for several weeks of a summer program. They proved so popular that they were reconstructed in plywood. Here they are decorated for winter; they will change with the seasons.


OK, the gremlins are at work again. This is the rear view of the dollhouse; tip your head 90 degrees to the right. I do know how to rotate pictures, but only while they are in the camera. So I went to the camera to find and rotate this one and...it's not there. Sorry about that. Perhaps you can go see it for yourself, but don't delay; it's only there for Christmas.


The Arts and Crafts-style library was built in 1909 with a generous donation by a local widow. According to my notes, her name was Sophia Daland. She was wise enough to include money to keep the library going. [At about the same time period, Andrew Carnegie was funding libraries all over the place. He knew the importance of operating funds, but his approach was to require the town requesting money for a library to promise to provide ongoing support.] In that era (1909) libraries provided reading space and "stacks" of books. The stacks were always behind the librarian's desk; no patron browsing!


The stacks here hold all sorts of treasures, including the borrowable telescope.


Evidence of the expectation of patron browsing is this eye-catching book that seems to be trying to jump into a reader's hands.


Everything has its place and no space is wasted!

     
  
The stacks are steadied by metal rods long the top of the shelves. 


Back in 1909 the library was heated by this fireplace. Light was provided by the windows along both sides of the reading area. Hours of operation were based on hours of light for reading. In the last 100+ years conveniences have been added: heating, electricity, running water...and air conditioning!


No electricity? Plenty of natural light...at least during the daylight hours.


Here's the festive little fellow again.


If I were a betting woman, I would bet that the children's librarian is a guitarist.


Look closely at the packages and you'll see how modern the dollhouse is.




I realize now that it might be a good thing that I didn't get here a month ago; I wouldn't have seen the dollhouse!


12/13/2021


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.