Thursday, August 26, 2021

544 Abbott Library, Sunapee, New Hampshire

This took some perseverance! I kept missing turns and my gps kept trying to fix my route. Eventually I discovered an information booth staffed with a very helpful person. She even drew me a map, and once I was headed in the right direction, the rest was easy. The library is definitely worth the effort.


The entrance with its stately columns...and bunting...gives more than a nod to classic library architecture.


Behind those columns, on the left, is this sheltered area for reading or just hanging out...when it's cooler than it was on the day I was there!


A sign in the entryway sums up the library's beginnings. A visit to the library website will give you a concise but more detailed version. I recommend it.

Abbott Library
Built 1926
from 
Funds Bequeathed
1918
by
Martha Abbott
in Memory of
her Husband
Almeron B Abbott


A large service desk isn't pictured because it was staffed, and you know...no people in the pictures! I could have taken a picture of the "conscience box," where patrons can, if they wish, make a donation in lieu of an overdue fine. 

I got permission to take pictures and headed left. Around the first corner was this nice aquarium.


Remember that reading area by the front door? Here's a sunnier, breezier, version on the other side of the building.


As I came into the children's area I saw this bulletin board which struck me as unusual because it is made of metal. Some magnets can be seen holding the trees in place, and plenty more are available at the left. What a neat way to create readily-revised displays!


A corner for parents, whether home schooling or not, provides materials for learners and guidance for adults who plan to teach reading. That barely visible poster provides guidance to the various levels of reading materials.


Beyond the "learning to read" materials I found the Youth section. All of the fiction is labeled "J" on the spine, though I spotted some titles I might classify "YA" for Young Adult. Shelves throughout the library are labeled consistently with these handsome lighthouse signs.


I do think that these days it must be difficult to classify fiction for kids. Authors who generally write for adults try their hands at books that will hook their readers early. Topics that would have been unheard of even a decade ago are now common. I'm glad that I don't have to make these decisions!


Non-fiction books are shelved by topic, with signs to aid in finding specific topics.


These book and activity bags have a sign asking that you only open the bags at home, not at the library. This brought back memories of trying to sort out opened kits on the library floor. The more pieces, the more...fun?

We are still in pandemic days, though progress is being made. Different libraries have different guidelines.  The small text at the bottom basically enjoins the reader to consider their own status and think of the needs of others.


Another common library issue. Many patrons like to be helpful and reshelf books they have browsed. Books might end up in the right place...or not. Here, please leave such books on top of the shelves. "We'll take it from there." 


When I came to the adult section, I was stopped in my tracks when I saw moveable shelves. This is only the third library, I think where I have seen similar shelves that allow much more storage--with access-- in the same space as traditional ones. There may be some where the shelves are not open to the public. The biggest array I've seen is at the Minneapolis library, where the shelves are moved electronically. It was just the best surprise to find these here!


You may have figured out by now that I have a special interest in signs. I'm sure librarians would be happy to shelve all books between knee and shoulder height, but even with the compression of moveable shelves, this just isn't practical. All the shelves I saw here were reasonable in height, but here's a very classy way to let people who need an assist know that they only need to ask.


A fireplace in a library provides a great focal point for programs or simply reading. In ordinary times a fireplace would likely be surrounded with comfy chairs, but not these days. The chairs will be back, I'm sure.


Raise your hand if you've ever seen rods like this in use. Extra points if you've ever had the job of sliding newspaper sections into the rods. They were awkward, but they did a good job of keeping newspaper sections in place.


Some people get their periodical fix electronically, but there are still many who would rather flip through "real pages."


I've tried to train myself to always look up before I leave a library. As here, I'm often rewarded with a special architectural detail.


Near the door there are notices of various sorts and also some jigsaw puzzles. Based on their location, I assume the puzzles are available to borrow without formalities.


Like most of the libraries I've visited in the last year and a half, Sunapee has provided Take and Make Craft Kits! I've been impressed by the creativity and effort that has gone into maintaining the "library habit" during a time when in-person visits were curtailed or even cancelled.


A look back before I leave; a chance to wonder if I have to be concerned about those clouds. [It turned out that I did not.]


 8/23/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.