Tuesday, June 15, 2021

540 Kensington Public Library, Kensington, NH

 After my foray into Massachusetts, I headed home by way of Kensington, NH. Shortly before I moved to NH I read somewhere that Kensington would be celebrating its 125th anniversary. That was a good reason to put it "on the list." But shortly after my move, which was April 1, I learned that of course there would be no celebration in 2020; thank you, Covid-19. Through the year I kept watching this library and others, watching for signs that they were opening, and in early June I decided that it was time for a visit to Kensington.

Is there a library anywhere that doesn't have a fundraiser going on at all times? Here, it's tomato plants for sale, lined up along the front walk. Self-service: there was a box with assorted envelopes "for tomato plant money."


Books are displayed on the fireplace mantles, below the classical bas-relief.


I started in the children's area this time, and I was happy to see that at least some of the toys are back! I also spotted a neat toy for making marble tracks with runways on a whiteboard. The librarian told me that more STEM manipulatives are coming, thanks to a grant.


This is the first library in pandemic times where I've actually seen kids in the library. In this case, they'd already gone upstairs with Mom, but they were there. [I'm glad they had left, since they complicate picture-taking.] A make-and-take project here involves sun hats and markers. There are a few left, but I heard they are going fast.


I think this is a great "teaser" to encourage a reluctant kid to read. Look at that last sentence!


My notes came up short; I'm not sure what materials are displayed in the bright plastic bins..


Just a bit of bookish humor...


"Adult fiction with if you like this, perhaps you'll like ..." shelf notes.


Soon I'm sure that comfortable chairs and displays of browsing materials will look normal again.


Dewey is used, of course, but in the non-fiction stacks broader categories help begin a search.


The teen corner from another angle. I think it's always a plus when there are outdoor views and natural light in a library.


More teen books, I believe. If I've messed up what's what, I hope someone will leave a note so I can edit this.


The founder. I couldn't find his name on the Kensington web site, sorry. I know that the upper level of the building includes history material, but I didn't go up.


Many libraries still have card catalogs, but I've never seen one painted blue! This one seems to be full of cards; I didn't ask whether it is still in use.


Books for "curbside pickup" are tucked into these shelves, out of the weather, in labeled bags.


The ramp at the front door contributes to accessibility.


When looking at the Kensington Public Library site, I found a document I've not seen anywhere else. I'll copy a bit of it here, but I suggest that you track down the whole document. I didn't find a date, but dates for the American Antislavery Society were 1833 to 1870.

Preamble and Constitution of the First Antislavery Society of Kensington

Preamble

We the undersigned fully believing that reducing human beings to; or retaining them in the situation of slaves, is a most flagrant sin against the character of a just, and Holy God; and repugnant to every principle of righteousness, and honour, amongst men;



Honoring those from Kensington who fought in the First World War.


And now, home to Concord.


2 comments:

  1. I just thought you should know this ---- I went to MONTICELLO, MN today and I took a picture or two of the msyterious "1909" that led you to believe that Monticello once had a Carnegie Library, and it didn't, it was just a random 1909 from a nearby bank, and I did some research on Google / the Internet, and the leading authority on the topic is your Blog, and now I am excited to read about all the libraries you have ever visited! So thank you for all the great library-visiting work you have done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun to read your comment, EXX SVV! Thanks for telling me of your adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.