Thursday, May 18, 2017

450 Petoskey District Library, Petoskey, MI

I tried to visit this library in the summer of 2014, but I failed to take into account the time zone change from Minnesota/Wisconsin. I arrived just as the doors were being locked, but I promised myself I would come back.



This is the only view I have of the kids area, as it was being renovated and/or reorganized. Therefore, it seems that I will have to include this on my itinerary on another trip. It's a beautiful part of the state, so this will not be a hardship!


Of great interest in the lobby area was a traveling display by Zonta Club of "Great Girls in Michigan History." Large posters of women of historic interest and accomplishment include where each was from (Sagniaw, Detroit...) and explains her contribution. A sign asks "Do you have what it takes to be great? Of course you do!" Single-word signs (Courage! Persistence!) are available for props in selfies. I thought I had taken a couple of pictures, but according to my camera, I did not.

Near the circulation desk I saw not one, but two 3-D printers. The one on the right seemed to be printing something. High-tech tools like this are seen more and more often in libraries today.






I chose to photograph this fireplace-shaped display simply because I like it and I think the use of books is interesting.


The teen area ("Teens Only! 7th - 12th grades") is behind a maker space room and adjacent to a classroom. The book and media collections are quite extensive.


When I got off the elevator, the first thing I saw was this display about Book Club Kits. Many libraries, including the one where I once worked, have book club kits in tote bags, but simply shelve them in a way that makes them less than ideally accessible. Sure, they can be found in the catalog, but I like the idea shown here of displaying the book jackets of the kits available, then marking the ones that are currently out with a sticky note.


Adding physical items (water bottle, bandanna, visor) to a display of books about outdoor activities is a nice eye-catching touch. Many libraries do this, of course. This display caught my eye also because of the unusual table.


There are many ways to acknowledge library donors. These ceramic "book spines" are one creative option.

Looking from the second level and down the elaborate staircase.

    

There are several reading areas with a living room ambiance.


Adult non-fiction stacks are above the children's area. There is a local history room, study tables, at least 8 computers. And of course the library has fiction stacks and all the usual media.

I have a restless feeling that I have not done the Petoskey library justice, but I will give myself a chance to do better when the children's area is open again. Next summer, most likely.

5/17/2017


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.