Wednesday, April 2, 2014

228. Mapleton Public Library, Mapleton, MN

I didn't know that Mapleton is the Curling Capital of Southern Minnesota! I also didn't know that I was going to find a Carnegie library here.

Unlike many Carnegie libraries, this one, built in 1910, has not been enlarged. The only change I'm aware of is that a false ceiling was added in the 60's and removed in time for the centennial in 2010, exposing the original very attractive coved ceiling. The building features the tall windows so common to these libraries, making it very light and pleasant inside.

Being the only visitor to a small library is a mixed blessing. On the one hand, it is nice to be greeted by the librarian, to chat and learn some of the history from her. On the other hand, it's difficult to poke around. I mean, I could have, but...well, for one thing, the library consists of two spaces, for kids and adults, with a circulation desk between them. Not much to poke into!

The children's area features a large, sturdy dollhouse, built by the librarian's husband, which I was told gets lots of use. There is also a life-sized cutout of the Wimpy Kid character; why have I not seen this anywhere else?

Probably because we were chatting, my notes are rather pathetic. You can learn more by going to http://www.mapletonmn.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={F5DA1AFA-6C5C-47A0-8D4A-9E26E5ABA0EB}.

4/1/2014, car

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.