Tuesday, August 13, 2013

192. Sandstone, MN, Public Library

Everywhere I go, I look for "something I haven't seen before." Here, it was a pair of corner shelves right inside the door that held many identically-bound books, a set of classics. The bottom shelves held what looked like a complete set of the interesting "A Very Short Introduction to..." series that I've seen in other East-Central branches.

Another "nowhere else" surprise was an open window! This was a beautiful day, temperature in the 70s with a light breeze, a perfect day to let a hint of the outside come inside. This window is one of a whole row of windows that brighten a browsing area with comfortable-looking chairs. Audio books are available on both CD and tape, and there is a good-sized large-print collection. Paperbacks are on spinners. I saw at least five public computers, a copier/printer, and a collection of teen books.

The children's area is very bright and cheerful. There is a computer on a low table and a corner with two wide, quarter-round steps up. This could be a focal point for a children's program; it has shelves that hold the series books. Two posters caught my eye, each with a good message: "Practice Random Acts of Reading" and my favorite, "No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted." The latter shows a fire-breathing dragon...using its fire to toast a marshmallow for a rabbit.

If you read this blog regularly, you know that I am always on the lookout for ice cream, and when I pulled around the corner to park at the library I ended up right across the street from an Ice Cream sign. Before I left town, I stopped for an excellent cone of maple nut. I also chatted with the proprietor, who told me that her store and the library collaborate on the summer reading program, with kids earning certificates for ice cream cones. Am I surprised that they come across the street for their cones as soon as they can, even at 9 am? No, I am not!

She also suggested I take a look at the unused Sandstone High School a few blocks away. I did, and a pictures is below. I'm sure this once-handsome building was built of local stone.

For more information, go to http://ecrl.lib.mn.us/sandstone.html .

8/13/13, car


Decommissioned high school; not a library picture, just a handsome building--with an asbestos problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.