Monday, June 3, 2013

168. Dimond Library, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH

NOTE: This post has been amended to correct a wrong impression about the children's book collection; see Comments. The Blogger regrets the error.

I attended UNH in the late 70s, but I wouldn't have recognized the library. (OK, that was a long time ago.) And a disclaimer: I can't do justice to a university library, no matter how much time I have. Here are some impressions. Learn more at http://www.library.unh.edu/.

I entered at the third, main, level. There were several quiet study rooms with tall windows, classic wood tables, chairs, and study lamps. The fourth floor housed part of the stacks, more reading rooms, graduate student carrells, and a cafe. Up on the fifth flour are more stacks, more reading rooms, faculty carrells behind a locked door, and a collection of award-winning children's books that are frequently used by education students. These books were perchased thanks to the generosity of an alumna.

Returning to the main floor, level 3, by a different staircase, I discovered a seminar room, the administrative area, and the Interlibrary Loan area. I also found a friendly librarian, Peter, and gave him one of my "cards" about this project. When I told him that I had come to this library because a) I had studied at UNH back in the 60s, and b) a friend's great-aunt had been the librarian here from 1942 to 1961, he held up a finger, thought for a moment, then produced her name, Thelma Brackett. Although he's a reference librarian, accustomed to producing information when needed--I was impressed!

For more information, go to http://www.library.unh.edu/locations/dimond-library.


6/3/2013, car, with Mary, Victoria, Weston, and Barrett



2 comments:

  1. Hi Ellen,
    So glad you stopped by the UNH Library and enjoyed your visit. As you found out, Peter is a spectacular reference librarian - one of the best! I would like to respond to your observation of the children's books. Rather than being 'remnants' of Durham Public Library, the books in this section are award-winning juvenile literature purchased with funds from an alumna who created an endowment in honor of her grandmother who taught her to read. Since we don't have very many library patrons under the age of 18, it is a small section - but, well used by education majors and the wee ones who do visit us upon occasion. Again, thanks for stopping by - hope to see you again soon - perhaps at a reunion?!? :)

    Best regards,
    Tracey Lauder
    Assistant Dean for Library Administration

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bad, Tracey. I should have asked about the children's collection. I was influenced by the fact that my sister remembered taking her children to a wonderful children's room; the current reality was so different from what she described, I overreacted.

    I don't attend reunions at UNH. I commuted while getting my MEd in 1970, I don't remember any classmates, and the faculty I do remember (Carl Menge, Dan Smith) are long gone. But my mother went to her 75th reunion in 2009; she was the first woman to graduate from the Institute of Technology, back in 1934. If I get back there, I'll try to look you up.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.