Thursday, December 27, 2012

Where I got my start



Here is a picture of the Nashua (NH) Public Library, taken in the 1950s--the era when I was working there as a high school "library page," 1954 to 1958. I was followed in that role by my sister Jean, and later by my mother, who worked for years as a reference librarian.

In the picture, the stacks, three levels, are on the left, reading room on the right, children's area below the reading room. And no, kids were not welcome upstairs in the adult area.

If you look at this picture and think "That doesn't look like a very practical, functional library building," you'd be right, though it worked OK for its time. It was replaced in the 60s by a concrete bunker that is still in use today. At least the old one had character.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.